IMPORTANT CNA INFORMATION

Welcome NursingAssistants.Net readers! This is the back up site to the main site which has been hacked! I'm working on getting that fixed. Please look around here for info for CNA's and those who care about their work!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Negative Aides Are Like A Virus

One reason why so many CNA’s hate their jobs is working with others who have attitudes that drag us down.

Kevincity is such a CNA:

Wow, ladies and gents, witness an example of the spin that the sucker-ups to the status quo can put on the true facts. Just when one thinks that this extravagant liar is finally gonna stick up for her own, she hops on her high horse to defend tyranny and run roughshod over us.

This is what he left as a comment to my post about Keeping Unions Out.

Sweet.

You know, no matter how hard one tries, people like Kevin will always be ready and more than willing to knock down ANY effort to make things better. People like Kevin are determined to undermine those who actually like this work, and who chose to stay in the field for a long time. Kevin assumes that people who are long term employees in this field survive this work by kissing up to the bosses. He’s wrong. And he’s a negative influence to everyone around him.

I am very hurt by his comment, and have put him on notice: He needs to start being a part of the solution instead of being a part of the problem. Of course I realize he doesn’t see himself as a problem; he sees aides like me as THE problem. I’ve been doing this work for a lot longer than he has, I have much more experience and I’m 100% sure I have seen much worse than he has. I don’t think Kevin has done anything except stir the pot. And for that I have banned him from my site. I have enough to deal with at work- the good and the bad. I don’t need his negativity here.

I’ve worked in the worst nursing homes in my area. I’ve been assigned to 35 residents by myself. I’ve been forced to stay over and work extra shifts, many times. I’ve seen neglect and abuse, and felt the impact of reporting these things. I’ve been under the fire of management who tries to cover up the neglect. I have been accused of not being a “company aide”. I’ve seen ass kissers get away with the worst care. And I’ve been hurt on the job and lost out on pay and benefits because management decided I needed to come back to work before my doctor said it was safe.

I worked for an assisted living home where a demented resident eloped in the middle of the winter, who fell down and froze to death. And wasn’t found until the next day. I have met with my state ombudsman when reporting incidences of abuse and cover ups. And I’ve lost some jobs because of this. I witnessed nurses hitting residents and withholding medications. I’ve seen a DON remove drugs from the med cart and swallow them. And I’ve been threatened to not tell anyone…as I got on the phone and called the police and the Board of Nursing.

I’ve seen more than my fair share of Nazi nurses torment good aides. Yell at them. Make unreasonable demands of them. Give them the worst assignments. And I’ve spoken up to them in their faces and demanded they be fair.

I’ve done CPR on residents who are found not breathing. I’ve removed them from their wheelchairs as they have passed out during a choking event; I’ve picked up bloodied and beaten old ladies who were the object of a combative male resident. I’e walked into dining rooms to see dozens of residents slumped over at the tables, waiting to be fed. And I’ve asked the nurses and administrator and others to help me out because I’m the only aide working.

I’ve testified before Congress on issues. I met Senators Grassley and Kennedy in Washington, to discuss wage pass thru laws and mandated ratios. I’ve attended the National Citizens Coalition For Nursing Home Reform’s yearly conferences and met many wonderful people. I’ve communicated extensively with leaders of the National Clearing House of Direct Care workers; I’ve also helped out with The Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute.
I’ve written articles for the now defunct Nursing Assistant Journal. I’ve been asked to help with books authored by Barbara Acello- the author who writes CNA educational books. I’ve met Jeni Gibson and attended her trainings on how to be an effective change agent. I’m a member of the big CNA groups. I do a lot for my fellow CNA’s. THIS site alone has been around in various forms since 1997. I’ve come to realize through my experiences that alone, CNA’s cannot change their work. But working with others, including those who have a vested interest in our work, will be far more effective. This means management. And families.

If this makes me a BAD aide, than so be it. One doesn’t have to have a dark cloud hanging over them to be a GOOD aide.


No comments:

Post a Comment